On this Fourth of July, everyone’s mad at everyone according to this article.
It’s a spiritual discipline to fight this trend and let’s start today considering the people we are happy with because they make America great today.
I am happy with quite a few people – even some with whom I disagree. Here’s a starter list:
- I’m happy that Lin-Manual Miranda is using his Genius/Pulitzer/Future EGOT capital to raise money for immigrant rights.
- I’m happy that some Republicans and some Democrats are saying out loud that the future prosperity of our nation requires bipartisanship. Thank you John Kasich, John Hickenlooper, Susan Collins, Joe Donnelly, Heidi Heitkamp, Joe Manchin III, Shelley Moore Capito, Bill Cassidy and Lindsey Graham. This is government at its best.
- I’m happy to call Russell Moore my brother in Christ. We don’t always agree, but we agree on this: “The church of Jesus Christ will outlast the United States of America. If that doesn’t sound like good news to you- reconsider.” (from a July 2 tweet)
- I am over-the-moon happy that Liz Theoharis will be joining me and Denise Anderson at the Big Tent Conference this week to introduce her book Always With Us. A great nation works to end poverty for all.
- I’m happy with Toni Morrison because she’s Toni Morrison. She explains our nation here and it might make some of us uncomfortable, but that doesn’t mean she’s wrong.
- I am happy to eat Chobani yogurt because Hamdi Ulukaya is a great American. He hires refugees along with American citizens to make yogurt in upstate New York and Idaho.
Enjoy the holiday and eat your burgers/hotdogs/yogurt! Happy Fourth of July!
Image is Jasper John’s Three Flags (1958)