It can be a tool to transform neighborhoods and repair the breach. It can open doors and offer opportunities. It can reveal the truth and melt away shame.
It can also cause chaos and unspeakable misery. Examples:
- Ralph Northam, Justin Fairfax, Mark Herring
- Oscar Arias
- The Roman Catholic Church
- Every other church which has covered up misconduct
- Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Why does it feel like there is so much misbehavior these days? (Quick answer: Humans are really good at sin.)
Each of those listed above ostensibly used their power for their own benefit – whether their power was based on white privilege, money, celebrity, physical strength, or ecclesiastical role. Their choices – whether thoughtless or strategically planned – have brought deep pain to a wide swath of human beings.
I have a simple request: can each of us consider the power we have and try to use it for good today?
- Speak up if you see someone being gaslit.
- Stand between a person and her bully.
- Use your influence to clear the path for somebody.
- Pay attention to the needs in front of our faces.
We were created to care for something beyond ourselves.
Have a good weekend.