This post is based on a conversation with one of my genius colleagues JC (not to be confused with Jesus Christ.) It speaks to me deeply as I work with church leaders in the thick of making Big Decisions.
As Church People wrestle with everything from “Who is God calling to be our next Pastor?” to “What is God calling us to do for our community?” I often hear:
Are we ready for this?
- Are we ready to call a female pastor?
- Are we (English speakers) ready to call a Spanish-speaking pastor?
- Are we (White People) ready to call a Person of Color?
- Are we ready to call a Head of Staff under age 35?
- Are we ready to open a homeless shelter?
- Are we ready to start a prison ministry?
- Are we ready to share our church property with a refugee family?
Note that Jesus never said:
- Are we ready to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us?
- Are we ready to love our neighbors as ourselves?
- Are we ready to repent for the kingdom of God is at hand?
- Are we ready to stop judging people?
Nope. Jesus just told us to do it. Ready or not. The Spirit will tell us what to do and help us do it. We simply need to pay attention and trust the One who calls us.