After walking around in our socially distanced world for many months, our Presbytery was led in prayer yesterday in three parts by three leaders for those impacted by the COVID-19 virus, for our divided nation, and for the new President and Vice-President. That last part was mine. Here is part of that prayer:
Just as we ask for peace for the outgoing President and Vice-President, we ask that you protect President-elect Biden and Vice-President-elect Harris.
- Protect their bodies from physical danger.
- Protect their vision from serving their party to serving their country.
- Protect their minds from cynicism and their souls from hopelessness.
Grant them that deep peace that passes all understand when they are carrying the heaviest of burdens and the most difficult of duties.
- Grant them wisdom and honesty.
- Grant them a circle of people who will tell them the truth.
- Grant them – we dare to pray as Presbyterian Christians – energy, intelligence, imagination and love.
We have been praying for our nation for many months and we continue today. God have mercy upon us.