I can’t remember which Zoom call it was yesterday, but one of my colleagues pointed out how revealing this situation is in terms of who we authentically are. On any given day, people say that “the United States is the greatest country in the world” or “if you work hard in this country, you’ll succeed.”
A pandemic shows us what’s actually true about us:
- There is a digital divide in this country that separates the haves from the have-nots in terms of access to information and convenience.
- Many of us do not trust our government.
- Many of us do not trust the media.
- Many people want to help their neighbor (while others hoard essential items.)
- We can be flexible and creative when we want to be.
- There is an economic divide in this country that separates the haves from the have-nots in terms of human value.
- (also known as 6B) A lot of us who self-identify as “pro life” are slow to support programs that help babies and children after they are born. Some of us call ourselves “pro life” and then vote for leaders who perpetuate “pro death” stances.
It’s times like these when are true nature is revealed. If we say we love God and then vote for policies that serve only the wealthy, we do not love God.
Times like these are truly a revelation – about who we really are. And they can be opportunities to become who we are called to be. It’s not too late to show the world what it looks like to follow Jesus in everyday life.
Image is “Revelation.” Source here. Also I think it was Jerrod who made this point yesterday.